Thursday, November 22, 2007

i missed my frizzy hair...

Ah, life back in Taipei - replete with 90% humidity levels causing my hair to expand just like those funky little sponge toys you drop into a bowl of water to watch them grow. Instant fun!

But seriously, it was a little tough coming back this time. Not sure quite what that was about - perhaps it was because I didn't have quite enough break time (how spoiled am I? Would any normal human being complain about 6 weeks of vacation not being enough break time?) and so wasn't ready to come back and jump right back into work. I do think that's part of it, but I think a stronger part of it was my time back in the States made me realize how much I miss being around good people who just so happen to also be good friends. It further made me appreciate the unique character that each city in the States has to offer. I really enjoyed being in San Francisco, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Chicago where walking around the streets provides its own simple joy - just by looking around and admiring the houses and buildings around you. Here in Taipei, there's not much to look at other than grimy tiled or concrete crap. I found myself strolling around the streets, unable to stop myself from imagining all the ways that the city could be improved. It kind of brought me down, and so, I found myself trudging off to school to start the new fall semester in a bit of a slump.

Luckily, on my way to school, I cut through the Tai Da campus (Taiwan's version of Harvard or Yale) where every day, twice a day, I have the pleasure of passing my favorite tree. Granted, this may qualify me as being a crazy tree lady, but I do have to say, there is something about this tree that lifts my spirits every time I pass by. So, secretly, I like to wave and say hi. After all, it's a nice tree.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I feel this tree is the gateway to some good memories. Keep waving!