Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ah, tranquility

All right. So most folks might consider California as a tranquil haven of American life. As much as I enjoyed my time both in NoCal and SoCal, I must say that my return to NY was refreshing and reinvigorating. For me, when it comes to the States, NY just fits - provided that I don't have to pay rent....

I am a bit ashamed to say that my time in NY, while it consisted of my longest leg in the US, also yielded the fewest pictures. Perhaps this is because I consider NY my true US home and so therefore treated it more mundanely? Anyway, it was extremely refreshing to be back again in the energy and vitality of good old New York City. I have yet to find another locale on this earth that can consistently compare with the intellectual and creative impulse of this city.

I was more than pleased to stay in "Hotel Maria" set up by my old and dear friends, Nichol and Sarah. Their home is one of comfort and welcome, of course aided by the cutest of little dogs, Stella. In addition, I was blessed with the company of several lunches and nights out (though not in any particular order) by Nichol, Sarah, Matt, Phoebe, Matt (yes, that's a second one), Connie, Chris, Spencer, Sean, Jeremy, Seth, Alex, Arwen, and others.

My departure from NY was more than bittersweet. This return to the city for me was a reminder of not only what I love about the city itself, but more importantly of all the people I've come to appreciate and love for all the good times, support, and inspiration they've provided throughout the years....

No comments: