Saturday, October 6, 2007

labor day in the 'burbs

So much for fun city life with friends - it was now time to retreat up in the suburbs with family. My cousin, Colin, was getting married on September 2nd, so my parents and I headed up to Mill Valley for the festivities. This was the first time in years that I had seen all of the California Kelley's together - and am rather ashamed to say that I almost didn't recognize my middle cousin, Tucker! The rehearsal dinner gave us all a chance to marvel over how much we've all grown and developed and prospered... and then it was a night of toasts like I've never experienced before - all kicked off by my aunt Liz who made a wonderful introduction of all the guests, and later included an original ballad by Liz's brother Tucker and a pseudo CIA bust of the groom by my father.

The wedding itself took place in the evening on Labor Day, so my parents and I took advantage of our free day in the area to drive up to Sonoma and Napa Valley, take in the fresh air and hills, and of course, partake in the delights of wine tasting. One of our stops was an out-of-the-way place in Sonoma which boasted a colorful yard outside and quite a unique interior replete with an old-fashioned organ. While I enjoyed cruising around both areas, I have to say that in the end I preferred Sonoma over Napa for its more rustic, gentrified country feel.

That evening was the nuptials of my cousin, Colin, and his new wife, Meeghan (whose mother is a real hoot), giving the Chicago Kelley's (minus my brother and his family) and the California Kelley's yet another chance to indulge in how wonderful we all are.

No comments: