Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I remember you when you were yay big...

Another happy coincidence threw me together with my former employers in Geneva, Switzerland, the Rabens, together in San Diego. They now live there after many years in the US foreign service.

Now, it's important to know that I worked for the Rabens as a nanny right out of college back in '94-'95. At the time, my charge, Michael, was an adorable toddler of 3-4 years old. So, the majority of my memories of him consist of his uncanny ability to recognize both the make and airlines of planes flying over head, as well as more typical toddler activities of going to the pool and the park, picnics in the yard with Siri and Paul, play dates with friends Catherine and Sophie, and making up songs about ghosts.
Needless to say, it was quite a reality check to meet him again as a grown young man of 16 years - first in Taipei in April and then more recently in San Diego in early September. Talk about feeling old! But on a more serious level, I have to say how impressed I was with what a polite, considerate and patient young man he's turned out to be. So, kudos to Ron and Joyce for raising a most respectable, worldly individual.

I also want to hand it to Ron and Joyce for their consistent efforts in staying connected and to always being there for me, not only as employers, but more lastingly as mentors and friends. I cannot deny that my experience with their family has had a lasting and positive impact on my life.

No comments: